Casting new light on mortgage lending
Some mortgage lenders are easing affordability restrictions to attract more borrowers, according to recent reports.
Coventry Building Society, Skipton Building Society, Tesco Bank, Santander and Virgin Money are among those to remove various different conditions from their policies.
However, some borrowers remaining on standard variable rates (SVRs) are paying more than they need to, according to Legal & General.
It has advised borrowers to switch to one of the many more competitive fixed rate deals on the market.
There is also some good advice to maximise the chance of getting the best mortgage possible:
- Save as large a deposit as possible to get the lowest rate
- Avoid unusual properties – high street banks don’t like lending on them
- Ensure all accounts are up to date for the past two years if you are self-employed
- Pay off debts to show you can meet regular repayments
- Speak to a mortgage broker to find the right deal
Read more about mortgages at https://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal-banking/mortgages/mortgage-lenders-relax-affordability-criteria-hunt-new-business/ or why not call into our Bridge office in Portsmouth to speak to one our friendly and professional team?